What's In a Name?

I often wonder how people, places and objects get the names they have. Some names are very straightforward, and the reasoning behind how the names came to be are obvious (history, topography, family tradition, function). But other names, like nicknames, music album titles, and some baby names (be honest, you've wondered at times) are an enigma. And there is usually a great story behind them.

For example, my nickname in certain circles in MOOSE. If you saw me in person and heard someone call me MOOSE, your brain would jolt and pause and ponder because I am very much on the petite side. I have zero moose-like qualities. However, in other circles I'm called Mari With An Eye. That one is obvious because my name is Mari, spelled with an "i" instead of a "y."

Another example: A few weeks back I had the opportunity to listen to the jazz band, The Project H, live at The Brick. I am not a jazz expert by any means, but I do listen to it from time to time. As the band jammed out, and as I've listened to the copy of the CD I bought after their set since that night, I found myself wondering about the inspiration behind the titles of jazz songs. The Project H titles include Becoming Light, Fixing Broken, and Water Torture. I would love to sit down with a band member and find out the why. 

Here is where all of this is leading ...

With my first post on this blog, I just jumped right in. For my second post, I wanted to share the inspiration behind the blog's title, Mind Full of Literacy. On the surface, you can take the name literally. I have a passion for literacy. I love learning new ideas, reading the research, discussing the various aspects, and helping people - especially young students - realize and accept the essential role literacy plays, and will always play, in their lives. My mind is literally full of literacy. But the title is also a play on words, as in mindful of literacy. I want to continue to be - and encourage you to be -aware of the types of literacies you engage in each and every day. It also invites us to be mindful of both our literacy strengths and the literacy areas we would like to strengthen. For me, that's a never- ending journey.

Thanks for reading! It keeps your ... Mind Full of Literacy!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment