Got My Mind On My Money and My Money On My Mind

Talking about money is scary, isn't it? It makes me truly squirmy and sweaty. But understanding what you have, what you want, and how to get there has to trump your fear.

Among all of the life skills people need to have, I rank financial literacy near the top of the list. Understanding money is just so essential to a secure future. Recognizing Uncle Sam's pseudonym is FICA when you get a paycheck, balancing a checkbook, and stashing dollars into a savings account just cover the basics of financial literacy. The real fun lies in understanding the impact of pre-tax contributions, deciphering the foreign language of retirement fund prospectuses (prospecti?), and comprehending the terms of a mortgage loan. And I hope you picked up the dripping sarcasm when I wrote, The real fun ...

The good news is that there are a crazy number of resources available to help us strengthen our financial literacy. The other day I decided to take advantage of one of those resources. With trembling fingers, I dialed the number for my financial advisor and scheduled an appointment to talk face-to-face with someone about my (gulp) money. Specifically, my retirement money. I've avoided this move for almost a decade (truly), and it's time I figure out what I have and what I want in terms of my financial future. I'm kind of excited and very proud of myself for taking this step toward beefing up my financial literacy skills.

If you are looking for info on financial literacy, these resources  might be helpful.

The Simple Dollar (one of my favorite blogs)

Financial Literacy Now

MyMoney.gov

Jump$tart - Financial Smarts for Students

Thanks for reading ... it keeps your Mind Full of Literacy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment