Thanksgiving: The Perfect Time to Gobble Up Some Historical Literacy!

photo credit: floodllama via photopin cc

My twins daughters started kindergarten this year, and I am enjoying watching them discover the world! They both have fabulous teachers who really challenge them to grow their brains. Over the past couple of weeks, the little ladies have been immersed in the history of Thanksgiving. I have heard over and over (and over and over) the tale of the Pilgrims sailing to the new land from England on the Mayflower so they could attend the church of their choice. My girls have regaled me with the heroics of Squanto and the Native Americans. Yesterday, I attended a celebration that had the kiddos  making dream catchers, canoes, male and female Pilgrim costumes, butter, and bread.

There's no holiday like Thanksgiving to remind us of our humble beginnings. I hope you'll take a couple of minutes to chow down on some historical literacy (along with pie, and turkey, and mashed potatoes ... oh, and don't forget the gravy. I love gravy!).

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for reading! It keeps your Mind Full of Literacy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment