Super-Size Your Cultural Literacy Skills By Going Local


Photo credit: Marxchivist via photopin cc

For folks living in the Midwest  - like me - getting to exotic and faraway places isn't easy or cheap. My knowledge of other cultures and the world usually comes from books and movies. Kansas City is smack dab in the middle of the United States, and I often lament the limited choices we have for close adventure: Nebraska, Kansas, Arkansas, Iowa.

"Going Local" is one of the trendiest trends these days, driven by both the need to curb spending and the desire to support the local community. So, I'm going to hop onto the bandwagon by exploring the places and spaces in my own backyard. I read somewhere that if travel  money is tight, whip out a map and make a 200 mile radius around the area where you live, then go explore on a day trip or overnighter. Sounded like a good plan to me, and a great way to increase my local literacy.

My subscription to Missouri Life magazine got me thinking about local cultural literacy. The December issue included an article on the origin of Christmas traditions in Missouri. I was astounded by all of the rich culture we have here right in our state. It's easy to forget the impact that German, French, and Italian cultures have had - and continue to have - on our state.

A fun way that I've increased my knowledge of Kansas City was by taking the Kansas City Gangster Tour. KC has had its share of mob hits, political bosses, and houses of ill repute.

On the adventure agenda this year is a trip to St. Joseph, MO, which boasts the start of the Pony Express in 1860, the final home of Jesse James, and a pivotal role in the Civil War. It is also home to the makers of the Cherry Mash. I also hope to visit the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutchinson, KS, as well as the Walt Disney Hometown Museum in Marceline, MO.

An added benefit to expanding your cultural literacy skills is that it builds background knowledge, and background knowledge is an essential ingredient in helping students of all reading levels improve their reading comprehension. So bring the kids! And if you're a teacher, explore some local options for field trips.

What about you? How do you plan to expand your cultural horizons this year?

Thanks for reading ... it keeps your Mind Full of Literacy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment