Project 2013: How I Plan To Let 171 Books Lead Me On A Journey Into Unknown Worlds

 
One of my two office closets is crammed with boxes of school supplies, letters from former student, lesson plans, and at least 171 young adult literature books (with a smattering of kid lit in the mix). All reminders of a career put on hiatus, if not permanently cancelled.
 
It’s the 171 books that I’m going to focus on in 2013. When I was actively teaching, I collected books for my classroom library like some people collect 1980s-era Smurf glasses: Obsessively. It was always my goal to read each book and write a short summary. But, between teaching responsibilities, reading for professional development, and devouring the latest YA lit releases, I never found the time.
 
This is the year I make the time. My plan is to (at the very least) list and link the books I read on my new YA Lit page on this blog, with a recommendation to read or not to read. My more ambitious plan is to write brief summaries. I reserve the right to ditch the books I can’t get into after 100 pages. It took me many, many years to develop the discipline to discard books I don’t like. I’m not going back now.  
 
I’m not naïve enough to believe I will stick only to these YA books. I have an extensive list of kid, adult, professional development, and non-fiction tomes I want to read in the new year. Again, my plan is to list and link to those on new blog pages as well.
 
I hope you’ll follow me - even join me – on my literacy journey.
 
Thanks for reading! It keeps your Mind Full of Literacy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment